My Shopping List
Alaska Crab Salad with Citrus Ginger Vinaigrette
Courtesy of Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute
Prep Time: 30 Min.
Cook Time: 10 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 2 lb. Alaska Crab legs (King, Snow or dungeness), thawed if necessary
+ 1 large or 2 small Ruby Red grapefruit
+ 1 head butter lettuce
+ 1 small head Belgian endive
+ 1 avocado
+ 1/3 c. sliced almonds, lightly toasted
+ 1/4 c. pomegranate seeds (optional)
+ 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
+ 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
+ 1 Tbsp. orange juice concentrate
+ 1 Tbsp. finely minced fresh ginger
+ 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
+ 1 Tbsp. honey
+ 1/3 c. salad oil or light olive oil
+ 1/4 tsp. salt
+ pinch cayenne pepper
What to do:
1. Make the vinaigrette first: In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients until well combined. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. You can make the vinaigrette up to 3 days in advance.
2. Using kitchen shears, cut Alaska crab shells open and remove crabmeat from shells. Chop or shred meat, if desired.
3. Cut the peel and all the white pith from the grapefruit, exposing the flesh. With a small paring knife, cut out the grapefruit segments and place in a bowl; set aside.
4. Wash the butter lettuce and spin dry. Use mainly the inner leaves of the butter lettuce, tearing larger leaves into bite-sized pieces if necessary. Cut the "root" end off the Belgian endive, then peel off each leaf. Arrange the leaves in a stack and cut them in half lengthwise. Cut the avocado in quarters; peel and slice thinly.
5. Toss the lettuce and endive with half of the vinaigrette. Divide between 4 oversized dinner plates, placing the greens in high mounds and pulling some endive pieces to the top. Divide the avocado slices and grapefruit segments on top of each salad. Divide the crabmeat between salads then sprinkle salad with toasted almonds and pomegranate seeds. Pass the remaining salad dressing to drizzle over the top of the crab. Serve immediately.
Cook's Tip: This salad is geared toward the fall and winter, with the inclusion of Ruby Red grapefruit and pomegranate. For a wonderful summer version, replace the grapefruit with 2 oranges and the pomegranates with raspberries or blackberries that have been cut in half.
Calories: 593; Total Fat: 33g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 95mg; Total Carbs: 28g; Fiber: 9g; Protein: 48g; Sodium: 2140mg;